Definición de rectus en inglés:
sustantivo (plural recti /-tʌɪ/)Anatomy
1Any of several straight muscles, in particular:
- Leading from the seminiferous tubules are the tubuli recti or straight tubules lined only with columnar cells apparently derived from Sertoli cells.
- The rectus femoris runs straight down the front of your thigh and, ideally, should protrude farther than any of your other quad muscles.
- It may also be represented by a single muscle bundle between the lateral and superior recti.
1.1 (also rectus abdominis /abˈdɒmɪnɪs/) Each of a pair of long flat muscles at the front of the abdomen, joining the sternum to the pubis and acting to bend the whole body forwards or sideways.
- During expiration, contraction of the rectus abdominis and transversus abdominis muscles draw the pubic plates dorsally, decreasing abdominal volume.
- The most superficial ab muscle, the rectus abdominis, runs from the top of your pubic bone to the sternum.
- The abdominal muscle responsible for the ‘six-pack’ look is the rectus abdominis.
1.2Any of a number of muscles controlling the movement of the eyeball.
- Geoff hooked a needle through the rectus, the gossamer-thin muscle that controls eye movement, then immobilized it with a suture.
- Congenital orbital adherens syndrome was suspected, and MRI of orbits revealed retraction of the right eyeball with shortening of the right medial rectus and left deviation of the nasal septum.
- Editor Ahmed and Ali wondered whether it is the oblique eye muscles or the superior or inferior recti that adduct the eye.
early 18th century: from Latin, literally 'straight'.
Definición de rectus en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India