- A large group of algae that includes many seaweeds that are mainly red in colour. Some kinds yield useful products (agar, alginates) or are used as food (laver, dulse, carrageen).
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Division Rhodophyta (or phylum Rhodophyta, kingdom Protista)
- Other red algae known as dulse have been pinpointed as rich sources of protein and iron, although dulse may not be easily digested.
- There are more than 5200 species of rhodophytes, and although some rhodophytes do inhabit fresh water, red algae are most common in tropical marine environments.
- The predicted increase in the rate of coral reef calcification is most likely due to an enhancement in coral metabolism and/or increases in photosynthetic rates of red algae, according to the scientists.
Más definiciones de red algaeDefinición de red algae en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.