A large group of algae that includes many seaweeds that are mainly red in colour. Some kinds yield useful products (agar, alginates) or are used as food (laver, dulse, carrageen).
- Division Rhodophyta (or phylum Rhodophyta, kingdom Protista)
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Other red algae known as dulse have been pinpointed as rich sources of protein and iron, although dulse may not be easily digested.
- There are more than 5200 species of rhodophytes, and although some rhodophytes do inhabit fresh water, red algae are most common in tropical marine environments.
- The predicted increase in the rate of coral reef calcification is most likely due to an enhancement in coral metabolism and/or increases in photosynthetic rates of red algae, according to the scientists.
Definición de red algae en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.