Definición de reduplicate en inglés:
1Repeat or copy so as to form another of the same kind: the upper parts of the harmony may be reduplicated at the octave above
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Words like that are called reduplicates and some of my favorites (found here, scroll down to the bottom) include dilly-dally, fuddy-duddy, higgledy-piggledy, hurly-burly, and namby-pamby.
- This way, you can reduplicate the blend if you ever need to.
- The above General Terms and Conditions were not reduplicated in the revised 4 vessel policy; but the case has been argued on the basis that they are properly incorporated.
1.1Repeat (a syllable or other linguistic element) exactly or with a slight change (e.g. hurly-burly, see-saw).
- An earlier paper had suggested that the phenomenon of transforming items by moving or reduplicating words might be connected with reactions to incongruity.
- Rumah ‘house’, buku ‘book’, and ikan ‘fish’ are among those that can be reduplicated; air ‘water’, nasi ‘rice’, and gula ‘sugar’ cannot be reduplicated.
- In two cases English words derive from Latin words in which the infinitive ends in atare and in which the at - is therefore reduplicated in the supine; they are dilatare, to spread out, and natare, to swim.
- Example sentences
- Whether full or partial, reduplication can serve to intensify an adjective, place a verb into the future or the past, pluralize a noun or scatter its distribution, render an action continuous, or simply imply repetition.
- Now, there are some interesting restrictions on English reduplication, but the plain fact of it is incontestable (at least in every North American dialect I've ever come across).
- Elsewhere, Kothari instructs the spectator to ‘look for the symmetrical reduplication and repetitive parallelism of dance patterns’.
- Example sentences
- He makes the point that reduplicative is really tautologous - ‘duplicative’ would have been sufficient, if it were a noun.
- This reduplicative lexicon vanishes entirely in lines 7-10, only to reappear (further emphasized by grammatical parallelism) in lines 11-13 - ‘Sweet roses sweet deaths sweetest odours beauteous.’
- A number are reduplicative, as in Tilba Tilba, Wagga Wagga, and Woy Woy.
Definición de reduplicate en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia