Definición de retard en inglés:
Pronunciación: /rɪˈtɑːd/[with object]
Delay or hold back in terms of progress or development: his progress was retarded by his limp
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He said the slow pace at which the deal was being negotiated was retarding the development of the park, which he said had remained closed to tourists for sometime.
- Famously, Forster accused the educational systems of the time of retarding the emotional development of schoolboys.
- Restrictive legislation could retard the development of technology and slow the growth of electronic commerce.
delay, slow down, slow up, hold back, set back, keep back, hold up, postpone, put back, detain, decelerate, put a brake on;
hinder, hamper, obstruct, inhibit, impede, handicap, hamstring, curb, check, restrain, restrict, arrest, interfere with, interrupt, encumber, clog
British informal throw a spanner in the works of
North American informal throw a monkey wrench in the works of
Pronunciación: /ˈriːtɑːd/informal, offensive Volver al principio
A person who has a mental disability (often used as a general term of abuse).
Oraciones de ejemplo
- I sat down on the table, feeling like a jerk and a retard for believing a pretty girl again.
- I immediately stopped smiling - yes, I was a retard to ever be smiling at this madman - and jerked my wrist away from his grasp, sprinting straight out the door and grabbed my heavy bag.
- Thrice fooled and I'm a complete retard, she thought to herself.
- in retard
- British formal Behind in terms of development or progress: I was in retard of them in real knowledgeMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Because the clocks had been jumped ahead, the day kept feeling in retard of where it actually was.
- Means may be provided such that the clock mechanism may display, instead of the correct time for a zone or locality, a time which is in advance or in retard of that time.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Also, since air retarders and vapor diffusion retarders serve different functions and have distinct characteristics, it may be more practical to install them as separate systems.
- The drivers are taught to use engine retarders instead of brakes, and if they have to use the brakes, to tap them lightly.
- Contractors are also encouraged to use evaporation retarders when weather conditions could cause excessive water evaporation from the slab.
- retardment sustantivo ( rare)
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The lining not only forms a decorative finish to the hull but also acts as a very good fire retardment.
- It is shown that there is a direct relationship between spring retardment (Φ) and the neap to spring ratio.
Late 15th century: from French retarder, from Latin retardare, from re- 'back' + tardus 'slow'.
Palabras que riman con retardAssad, aubade, avant-garde, backyard, ballade, bard, Bernard, bombard, canard, card, charade, chard, couvade, croustade, Cunard, facade, glissade, guard, hard, ill-starred, interlard, lard, Montagnard, nard, pard, petard, pomade, promenade, regard, rodomontade, roulade, saccade, Sade, salade, sard, shard, unmarred, unscarred, yard
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda