verbo (revels, revelling, revelled; US revels, reveling, reveled)[no object]
- At the festival, the people were revelling, drinking beer and wine and feasting on the sacrifices.
- The assistant peered through the window and saw a group of Jews feasting, drinking, and reveling.
- The couple were among 420 people who revelled late into the night at Freddie's Festive Fundraiser, in the grounds of Salisbury's Cathedral School, to help boost the coffers of Sargent Cancer Care for Children.
- Although I still have a lot to learn, I am revelling in the pleasures that my newfound blogger friends bring me.
- Not 3 weeks ago you were revelling in how you had gained a probable vote from someone who had thought you a Labour candidate.
- Carl Rushworth revelled in the situation and bagged four tries, while Ian Mansell touched down three times.
- Meet the party girls whose revels raised £70 for Keighley Disabled People's Centre.
- The revels originated years ago as a bank holiday festival for men who worked in the local quarries.
- This vintage expression, which gives the movie its title, is uttered by Ince when he contemplates the revels Hearst has planned for the producer's birthday celebrations aboard the mogul's splendiferous yacht, the Oneida.
Late Middle English: from Old French reveler 'rise up in rebellion', from Latin rebellare 'to rebel'.
rebel from Middle English:
The Latin word rebellis was originally used in reference to someone making a fresh declaration of war after being defeated. The root was bellum ‘war’, as in bellicose (Late Middle English) or ‘warlike’, combined with re- ‘again’. A person who is deeply dissatisfied by society in general but does not have a specific aim to fight for might be described as a rebel without a cause. The first such person was James Dean, star of the 1955 film Rebel Without a Cause. Revel (Late Middle English) comes from the French equivalent, which developed the sense ‘to make a noise’ from the basic sense ‘to rise in rebellion’.
Palabras que riman con revelbedevil, bevel, devil, dishevel, kevel, level, split-level
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: revel
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.