Definición de rhinoceros en inglés:
sustantivo (plural igual or rhinoceroses)
- Family Rhinocerotidae: four genera and five species
- When the vessel was first discovered last year, it contained the leg bone of a tapir, a medium-size mammal related to both the horse and the rhinoceros.
- Rabinowitz hoped to find remaining pockets of additional charismatic fauna - elephants, tigers, and rhinoceroses - and to set up a biological reserve to protect them, but he soon learned that these large mammals had disappeared.
- O'Connell-Rodwell and her colleagues have also begun to study the nuances of elephant signals to distinguish them from the footsteps of rhinoceroses or lions.
Middle English: via Latin from Greek rhinokerōs, from rhis, rhin- 'nose' + keras 'horn'.
It is the look of the rhinoceros that provides its name, which comes from Greek rhino- ‘nose’ and keras ‘horn’. The animal has been known in English since the end of the 14th century, but the first reference to it calls it a kind of unicorn. Rhino- will be familiar to gardeners from the antirrhinum (mid 16th century), the alternative name for the snapdragon, whose name means ‘counterfeiting a nose’ from its appearance, while keras appears in keratin (mid 19th century), the substance from which horn is made.
Palabras que riman con rhinocerosMonoceros
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.