Definición de rid en inglés:
verbo (rids, ridding; past and past participle rid or archaic ridded)[with object] (rid someone/thing of)
- And so the Dufourgs turned to Gina Rose, a 43-year-old Arizonan whose specialty is ridding buildings of unwanted energies.
- The beleaguered authority is to discuss the way forward in ridding the city of unwanted homes, which are magnets to vandals, at a meeting next Monday.
- But young people are fighting back in South Yorkshire and today will descend on London, seeking to rid their county of its unwanted image.
- Parents wanting to be rid of undesirables will be free to set up their own grammar schools with their own selection systems.
- So, as you can imagine, she felt quite relieved to be rid of all that for three months.
- Touchwood sees the illegitimate child he has fathered as ‘a half a yard of flesh’ and, relieved to be rid of it with just a small financial outlay, he remarks ‘and would I were rid of all the wares in the shop so’.
- 1be well rid of
- Be in a better state for having removed (a troublesome or unwanted person or thing): she thought the world was well rid of himMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The Prime Minister told the committee: ‘I'm quite sure we did the right thing because, not merely was he a threat to his region, to the wider world, but it was an appalling regime that the world is well rid of.’
- For the next two days we went on as such, and by the time we reached the Post I was heartily sick of their constant ribbing about the boy, and had come to look on him as something to be well rid of as soon as we arrived.
- And judging by Tariana Turia's vote, Labour is well rid of her.
- 2get rid of
- Take action so as to be free of (a troublesome or unwanted person or thing): we have been campaigning to get rid of the car tax for 20 yearsMás ejemplos en oraciones
dispose of, do away with, throw away, throw out, toss out, clear out, discard, scrap, remove, dispense with, lose, dump, bin, unload, jettison, dismiss, expel, eject, weed out, root outNorth American informal shuck offNorth American informal nuke
- Perhaps you should dig it up, getting rid of all the roots, and try something else as a windbreak.
- Having a shave and getting rid of unwanted body hair in the heat or sauna is also supposed to be relaxing for the nerves and skin.
- Can you advise on the best way of getting rid of the smell?
Middle English: from Old Norse rythja. The original sense 'to clear' described clearing land of trees and undergrowth; this gave rise to 'free from rubbish or encumbrances', later becoming generalized.
Palabras que riman con ridamid, backslid, bid, did, forbid, grid, hid, id, kid, Kidd, lid, Madrid, mid, outbid, outdid, quid, skid, slid, squid, underbid, yid
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.