Denoting an animal, especially a horse or cow, having a coat of a main colour thickly interspersed with hairs of another colour, typically bay, chestnut, or black mixed with white.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Gualtero rounded the corner leading the horses - his palomino stallion, Sullivan's buckskin mare, and a third horse, a roan mare with a creamy blond mane and tail.
- He reined his roan mare and fell behind his master.
- My mare now turned her head and nibbled at the neck of the roan horse Sidroc rode.
sustantivo[usually with modifier] Volver al principio
A roan animal: a blue roan
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Chuckling at the raised eyebrow from the pretty girl sitting astride the chestnut roan, he replied to her unasked question.
- Sullivan took his buckskin mare's reins and ran a fond hand over the animal's forehead as he eyed the roan.
- In the last couple of days, has anyone come into town riding a roan with a Collins & Morrison saddle?
Mid 16th century: from Old French, of unknown origin.
Palabras que riman con roanalone, atone, Beaune, bemoan, blown, bone, Capone, clone, Cohn, Cologne, condone, cone, co-own, crone, drone, enthrone, flown, foreknown, foreshown, groan, grown, half-tone, home-grown, hone, Joan, known, leone, loan, lone, mephedrone, moan, Mon, mown, ochone, outflown, outgrown, own, phone, pone, prone, Rhône, rone, sewn, shown, Simone, Sloane, Soane, sone, sown, stone, strown, throne, thrown, tone, trombone, Tyrone, unbeknown, undersown, windblown, zone
Early 19th century: perhaps from Roan, the old name of the French town of Rouen.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
= de moda