- (Of a person) having a round, plump appearance: a roly-poly young boyMás ejemplos en oraciones
chubby, plump, fat, stout, rotund, buxom, well upholstered, well covered, well padded, of ample proportions, ample, round, rounded, well rounded, full, fattish, dumpy, chunky, broad in the beam, portly, overweight, fleshy, paunchy, bulky, corpulent• archaic pursy• rare abdominous
- An old lady with a roly-poly figure waddled her way over to me and gave me a friendly smile.
- Rick was getting out of the shotgun seat and a roly-poly man with glasses was getting out of the driver's seat.
- The roly-poly, laughing baby who, come to think of it, looks remarkably like a little Buddha.
sustantivoVolver al principio
- 1 (also roly-poly pudding) [mass noun] British A pudding made of a sheet of suet pastry covered with jam or fruit, formed into a roll, and steamed or baked: a nice bit of jam roly-polyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The list of puddings included deep pan apple pie, jam roly-poly and treacle sponge.
- They will be cooking chicken rogan josh followed by apple and cinnamon roly-poly in the final.
- Formerly roly-poly pudding was boiled in a pudding cloth; but the skill of enclosing a pudding of this shape in a cloth has now mostly been lost.
early 17th century: fanciful formation from the verb roll.