- 1The action of rotating about an axis or centre: the moon moves in the same direction as the earth’s rotation [count noun]: several solar rotationsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- With the motion and rotation of Earth, the coordinates dance all around in a strange mess that is extremely difficult to untangle.
- The earth moves around the sun in an orbit that is nearly a circle, and the axis of rotation of the earth maintains an effectively fixed direction.
- Its chambers and tunnel will allow visitors to perceive the earth's rotation and its changing alignments with the stars.
- 1.2 Mathematics another term for curl ( sense 3 of the noun).
- 2The passing of a privilege or responsibility to each member of a group in a regularly recurring order: it has become common for senior academics to act as heads of department in rotationMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Gurkha battalions have been stationed there in rotation for the past twenty-five years.
- Their substantial independence threatened republican tradition with its corporate government and brief periods of high office for individuals in rotation.
- There are occasions where there are two Bards sharing the telling in rotation, enabling an even more embellished tale to be told.
- 2.1 (also crop rotation) The growing of different crops in succession on a piece of land to avoid exhausting the soil and to control weeds, pests, and diseases: traditional practices such as crop rotationMás ejemplos en oraciones
- He uses cow manure, green manure and crop rotation to ensure nutrient-rich soil for his rapeseed crop.
- It appears that factors of fall moisture, winter exposure, leaf diseases, and early summer heat are larger than crop rotation and or tillage method.
- Disease-resistant varieties, crop rotation, and tillage are especially important in management of wheat diseases.
- 2.2 Forestry The cycle of growth and felling or cutting of trees: short rotation forestry [count noun]: a rotation of 60-80 years to provide valuable saw timberMás ejemplos en oraciones
- If the forest has a non-timber value, for instance, in terms of its recreation value or its value as a wildlife habitat, then this changes the socially optimal forest rotation.
- Initial growth rates can be improved for higher assurance of success and shorter rotations.
- The region also plays host to a large number of birches to add variety, a component that forest management plans aim to maintain past the current rotation.
- 2.3 [count noun] US A tour of duty, especially by a medical practitioner in training: she was completing a rotation in trauma surgeryMás ejemplos en oraciones
- They focus on core programs in analytics, and then have a very experiential period - similar to the clinical rotations used in other professions.
- Kate told Stephen how she got on the accelerated Medicine program at Boston University and that all of her rotations would transfer over to UIC except the ER.
- Classroom training is then combined with hands-on experience that includes a general rotation in every department of the company.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The number of bumps on each wheel in combination with the rotational speed determined the pitch produced by a particular tone wheel assembly.
- And my brother and I had put her in front of the rotational sprinkler too many times.
- Be sure to place stations in different parts of the field (areas with different rotational histories, soil types, low or high spots, etc.) to obtain a representative sample.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- If grown with tall-growing grasses and grazed rotationally, the pastures should be grazed at relatively short intervals to prevent excessive shading by the grass.
- With rotationally deploying ships from both the Atlantic and Pacific Fleets, 5th Fleet typically has more than a dozen ships and 15,000 to 20,000 Sailors and Marines.
- The lower eye is rotationally symmetrical, but the upper eye is only bilaterally symmetrical (front view shown to the right).
mid 16th century: from Latin rotatio(n-), from the verb rotare (see rotate).