- 1A horizontal support on a ladder for a person’s foot.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He stood, his foot on the lower rungs of a ladder that led to the upper shelves, with his weight propped on his elevated knee.
- That wouldn't buy them much time, Sydney knew, so she steeled herself and placed one foot on the first rung of the ladder.
- He placed a foot on the first rung of the ladder on the side of the freighter and began to climb, hefting himself up onto the roof.
- 1.1A level in a hierarchical structure, especially a class or career structure: we must ensure that the low-skilled do not get trapped on the bottom rungMás ejemplos en oraciones
- New research by the Bank of Scotland shows that first-time buyers north of the Border are still able to get their foot on the first rung of the housing ladder.
- The arrangement is designed to allow young couples to get a foot on the first rung of the housing ladder.
- Now with a foot firmly on the lower rungs of the ladder to rockdom, it's hard not to imagine that they will do anything but ascend.
- 2A strengthening crosspiece in the structure of a chair.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In a lucid moment Winston found that he was shouting with the others and kicking his heel violently against the rung of his chair.
- Grabbing the rung of the chair he pulled him over next to the wall.
- Kitchen chairs or stools that have rungs are especially helpful, as it can be tiring for your daughter if her feet don't reach the floor.
Old English hrung (in sense 2); related to Dutch rong and German Runge.