Definición de saltation en inglés:
1 Biology Abrupt evolutionary change; sudden large-scale mutation: new genetic characters appear suddenly by saltation [count noun]: a new concept of evolution by saltations or sudden transitions
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He gave examples of new races formed in sudden jumps or saltations to illustrate that ‘the evolution of organisms may… be a much more rapid process than Darwin believes.’
- In a phylogenetic dendrogram, branches and twigs here and there show saltations into a new grade.
- But accepting the data at face value raises the interesting possibility that hierarchy may be quite labile, that hierarchical saltations may be relatively easy in evolution.
2 Geology The transport of hard particles over an uneven surface in a turbulent flow of air or water: the distance travelled by each grain during saltation
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Eroded sediment can be transported by creep, saltation, or suspension, and where much fine soil or sediment is present, dust clouds can result.
- Although the dunes near Parker seem to be an extension of this same sandflow path, Muhs says that saltation couldn't carry grains of sand across the Colorado River.
- This process, in which sand grains bounce downwind, is called saltation.
3 archaic The action of leaping or dancing.
- In addition to the dorso-ventral flexion seen during saltation, the sacroiliac joint often allows varying degrees of lateral movement.
- These actions are important in the effective use of the hindlimbs during terrestrial saltation and swimming.
- Example sentences
- The myelin acts as a layer of high electrical resistance and low capacitance, facilitating the rapid saltatory conduction of electrical impulses from node to node for long distances along axons that may be up to 1 m in length.
- The saltatory nature of this type of flight results in extreme linear and angular displacements of the bird's body; however, birds isolate their heads from these accelerations with cervical reflexes.
- The species possesses paired, elongate lateral spines that function in saltatory sweeping motions in response to sheer disturbances by predators.
Pronunciación: /ˈsaltət(ə)ri, ˈsɔː-, ˈsɒ-/adjetivo
Definición de saltation en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan