Definición de saprotroph en inglés:
An organism that feeds on or derives nourishment from decaying organic matter.
- In contrast to ciliates, Opalina combined large cell size and the need for fast growth by evolving numerous genetically equivalent nuclei per cell (like siphoneous algae and many hyphal saprotrophs - fungi and pseudofungi).
- Fungal endophytes and saprotrophs generally play an important ecological role within plant tissues and dead plant material.
back-formation from saprotrophic.
- Example sentences
- Although fungi are thought of as saprotrophic or parasitic, more than one third of the known fungi are involved in mutualistic symbioses.
- Those illustrated in Fig.4 resemble simple cord-forming, saprotrophic basidomycetes, which are involved in lignin decomposition (L. Boddy, pers. comm. 2001; work in progress).
- However, if no suitable photobiont is available, the mycobiont can survive in a loose association with other algae or behave as a saprotrophic fungus.
Definición de saprotroph en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan