- 1A hand tool for cutting wood or other hard materials, typically with a long, thin serrated blade and operated using a backwards and forwards movement.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Mark the cut line on the board and position the saw with its blade on the line.
- Pruning saws have narrower blades with coarse teeth that are designed to cut on the pull stroke.
- Some grout saws have teeth, others have abrasive coatings on the blade.
- 1.1A mechanical power-driven tool for cutting which has a toothed rotating disc or moving band.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It's a super-modern sawmill with huge mechanical saws controlled by computers.
- Use of power drills or saws should be avoided if they are likely to come into contact with high-infectivity tissue.
- Instead, the company has focused on repeatedly modernizing its production facilities with tools such as computer-controlled, laser-guided saws.
verbo (past participle chiefly British sawn /sɔːn/ or chiefly North American sawed)Volver al principio
- 1 [with object] Cut (something) using a saw: the top of each post is sawn off at railing height [no object]: thieves escaped after sawing through iron bars on a windowMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Sanded and rough sawn plywood will develop surface checks, especially when exposed to moisture and sunlight.
- Dust mask and goggles are necessary for work with all types of insulation, or when sawing wood.
- If a supervisor spends eight hours of his nine-hour workday alongside a crew of carpenters, sawing wood and pounding nails with them, is he blue collar?
- 1.1Make or form (something) using a saw: the seats are sawn from well-seasoned elm planksMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Because American oak is so much less porous than European, staves of American oak can simply be sawn from each quarter, so as to maximize the yield of each log.
- 1.3 [no object] Make rapid sawlike motions in cutting, or in playing a stringed instrument: he was sawing away energetically at the loafMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The track builds into a ringing guitar drone backed by the screeching sounds of Arne Ericsson sawing away at his electric-cello.
- The invisible violins were currently sawing away at the frantic tune of ‘The Phantom of the Opera’.
- The problem is that blokes in white jackets sawing away at violins just isn't televisual.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- They're called ‘sawflies ‘because the adult female uses sawlike egg-laying organs to cut slits in year-old needles.’
- Cuts must be delivered with a light touch, drawing the cutting edge of the blade back quickly in a sawlike motion.
- A few years ago, a dentist I was seeing told me that I was brushing improperly in a sawlike motion and had caused slight damage to the gum surrounding one tooth.
Old English saga, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch zaag.
- A proverb or maxim: it is worth bearing in mind another old saw: ‘oppositions do not win elections; governments lose them’Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Their power is absolute, and, as the old saw has it, absolute power corrupts absolutely.
- More broadly, though, history teaches that the old saw is correct - shares do offer the best returns in the long run.
- According to the old saw, a language is a dialect with an army and a navy.