Definición de scent en inglés:
- People enjoyed them because of the scents and distinctive flavors.
- This is heavily perfumed with fruit that bursts out of the glass, filling the room with scents of freshly cut apple, pear and peach.
- It's dotted with linden trees that must have provided a pleasant scent when in bloom a few weeks ago.
- Work has begun with a leading confectionery company on an equally intriguing chocolate perfume scent, but the project is still at an early stage.
- How long before politicians come out with their own clothes line and perfume scent?
- The new men's scent from Comme des Garçons is God's gift to perfume.
- Later this year the NFH intend to experiment with trail hunting, in which a cloth soaked in a fox's urine is dragged across the countryside to give the hounds a scent to follow.
- One possible tactic could involve shooting a fox before the hunt sets out and dragging its corpse round the countryside for hounds to follow the scent.
- Hounds follow the scent of a fox which may be quite some distance away.
- Marco, picking up the scent, tries to investigate, following Shaw around the country.
- It's possible it has been deliberately left there by the worm's author as a red herring to lead investigators off the scent.
- A lack of bullets initially put investigators off the scent of gunpowder.
verbo[with object] Volver al principio
- Commercial fabric softeners are heavily scented with artificial fragrances that leave irritating residues on fabrics.
- They brought soap and scented the bathwater with fragrant oils.
- The water was just the right temperature and it was scented with lavender perfume and honey-suckle.
- ‘Like a shark scenting a drop of blood in a vast expanse of ocean, he sniffed out my vulnerability the first time he laid eyes on me,’ she writes in her new book.
- She was indeed already circling them, like a shark scenting spilled blood.
- It was finally lunch period, Mary walks to the line at the Café and later scents a familiar smell.
- The Hammers, who had scented victory, had to withdraw their substitute striker in favour of a replacement defender in Neil Ruddock.
- Chants and songs echoed around the pub as fans scented victory.
- When McNicholas was shown a straight red for a high shot on Cruckshank, Leigh scented victory.
- When we were seated he looked around as if scenting the air, and said, ‘This is very sixties.’
- ‘Just a sec,’ I said, transforming again into my wolf form and scenting the air.
- I trudged on, scenting the air every so often to see if anyone was around me and also keeping track of where the border patrollers were.
Before it was perfume, scent was a hunting term for a hound's sense of smell. From there it became an odour picked up by a hound, and then in the 15th century a pleasant smell. The word came into medieval English through Old French from Latin sentire ‘to feel or perceive’, from which sensation (early 17th century), sense (Late Middle English), sensible (Late Middle English), sensitive (Late Middle English), sensory (mid 18th century), sentence (Middle English) originally a way of perceiving, and numerous other words without a -c- derive. People started spelling scent with a -c- in the 17th century, but no one knows exactly why.
on the scent
- In possession of a useful clue in a search or investigation: he might be on the scent of somethingMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Within the French secret service, there were a few outright untrustworthy, such as one lieutenant whose blather on a cafe terrace put the Germans on the scent of these listening officers.
- He is the eco-friendly hound who is on the scent of environmental crime.
- They think that this provides an avenue to destroy her, and they are like hounds on the scent.
put (or throw) someone off the scent
- Mislead someone in the course of a search or investigation: it was a ploy to put us off the scentMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Either Joss is trying to throw us off the scent… or he is in denial.
- I'm probably getting paranoid, but are BBC employees trying to throw us off the scent by posting red herrings on these sorts of boards?
- It is a brilliant way to throw us off the scent, which just reminds us all how vigilant we must be to stopping these evil minds.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- In spring you see clematis montana rubens everywhere, sugary pink, scentless and often clashing with equally ubiquitous but bright chrome yellow Forsythia.
- When meditating, it seems best for most people to be in a dark room lit by scentless candles while listening to wordless soundscape music.
- Four weeks later, subjects with the scentless patch had lost an average of only 2.4 pounds, while those sniffing vanilla lost an average of four pounds.
Palabras que riman con scentabsent, accent, anent, ascent, assent, augment, bent, cement, cent, circumvent, consent, content, dent, event, extent, ferment, foment, forewent, forwent, frequent, gent, Ghent, Gwent, lament, leant, lent, meant, misrepresent, misspent, outwent, pent, percent, pigment, rent, segment, sent, spent, stent, Stoke-on-Trent, Tashkent, tent, torment, Trent, underspent, underwent, vent, went
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.