Definición de schooner en inglés:
1A sailing ship with two or more masts, typically with the foremast smaller than the mainmast.
- The glimmering vessel was a great schooner, with multiple masts on top and impressive quarters inside.
- The visit of the barques, brigantines and schooners also seemed to drive off some of the tourism malaise created by a July shrouded in fog, damp and rain.
- A lone sailboat, a single schooner, a solitary steamship might not have much impact in an eclectic gallery.
2British A glass for drinking a large measure of sherry.
- They'd rather drink a schooner of fortified wine than be seen with a glass of something pink.
- The branders and marketeers would like to bypass the image of refined sherry drinkers taking their apéritif from miniature schooners with the little finger slightly adrift of the glass.
2.1North American & Australian /NZ A tall beer glass.
- Painted on it was a red demon holding a schooner of beer.
- Most have done more physical damage to themselves in endless schooners.
- He received a fitting farewell in front of his home crowd before enjoying a celebratory schooner in the family pub in Sydney's inner-west.
early 18th century: perhaps from dialect scun 'skim along', influenced by Dutch words beginning with sch-.
Definición de schooner en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan