scot and lot
- historical A tax levied by a municipal corporation on its members: persons keep their own houses and pay taxes, scot and lotMás ejemplos en oraciones
- All Frenchmen who shared in the customs of the English when Edward the Confessor was king shall pay what is called ‘scot and lot’.
- Before towns acquired self-government, ‘burgesses’ referred to all residents who were at scot and lot - that is, contributing to the financial obligations laid on the town as a whole.
- The principal criterion for laying claim to that status was to be at scot and lot, which entailed the reciprocity of rights and responsibilities that is fundamental to the concept of citizenship in today's society.
1A native of Scotland or a person of Scottish descent.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Although her art focuses on Scotland's industrial landscapes, Downie is not a native Scot.
- This is the story of a young Scot of Pakistani descent and a young white woman of Irish descent.
- As a Scot I welcome a Scottish Prime Minister, whichever side of the political equation.
1.1A member of a Gaelic people that migrated from Ireland to Scotland around the late 5th century.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- It might be supposed, therefore, that the position of mormaer was a creation of the new Gaelic kingdom of the Scots.
- The non-English parts of the UK have ten million Gaels, Celts, Picts, Irish, Scots and Vikings.
- In 367, the Scots and Picts ignored agreements made with Rome and attacked the frontier.
Old English Scottas (plural), from late Latin Scottus, of unknown ultimate origin.
Palabras que riman con Scotallot, begot, Bernadotte, blot, bot, capot, clot, cocotte, cot, culotte, dot, forgot, garrotte (US garrote), gavotte, got, grot, hot, jot, knot, lot, Mayotte, motte, not, Ott, outshot, plot, pot, rot, sans-culotte, Scott, shallot, shot, slot, snot, sot, spot, squat, stot, swat, swot, tot, trot, undershot, Wat, Watt, what, wot, yacht
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
= de moda