- An extra hand in some watches and clocks which moves round to indicate the seconds.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The man spots another clock, where the second hand has not moved at all.
- Try positioning yourself in view of a wall clock or use a watch with a second hand or timer.
- I woke up in the hospital at three in the morning and I could see the second hand on the clock wasn't moving.
Más definiciones de second handDefinición de second hand en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
- 1(Of goods) having had a previous owner; not new: a second-hand carMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The home was furnished with second-hand goods and the children had hand-me down clothes although they always had shoes from Clarks.
- When this first began 15 years ago, the toys received were often of fairly poor quality; second-hand goods ready to be thrown out.
- Most of the items are in good enough condition, considering that they are second-hand goods.
- 1.1Denoting a shop where second-hand goods can be bought: a second-hand bookshopMás ejemplos en oraciones
- I'm looking forward to miles of walking along the water and I love browsing through the second-hand stores and thrift shops in the area.
- Keep an eye out for it in second-hand shops and book sales.
- Actual dance costumes, complete with glitter and sequins, often end up in second-hand shops.
- 2(Of information or experience) accepted on another’s authority and not from original investigation: second-hand knowledge of her countryMás ejemplos en oraciones
- A poet must experience, rather than simulate reality or rely on second-hand information.
- Mind you that salt should be taken, as second-hand information and college statistics might not be enough.
- So it's really kind of an assessment of second-hand information, you know?
adverbioVolver al principio
- 1On the basis that something has had a previous owner: tips on the pitfalls to avoid when buying second-handMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The biggest-selling MPVs in the UK are the Citroën Picasso and Renault Mégane Scénic, both of which can be bought second-hand for well within your budget.
- The van was bought second-hand for £3,000, two years ago.
- The vehicle was bought second-hand in 1997 by islanders but withdrawn from service three months ago when a door was damaged.
- 2On the basis of what others have said; indirectly: I was discounting anything I heard second-handMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The hospitality I received cannot be experienced second-hand.
- I'm very mistrustful about it, because just everyone knows that when you get things second-hand, the problems that there are in the translation are great.
- The challenge of science is to overcome the constraints of our neurological wetware and understand a physical world that we know only second-hand and incompletely.
at second hand
- By hearsay rather than direct observation or experience.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The palace consequently represents an injection of French Renaissance aesthetic taken pure and from the source, rather than mediated at second hand through the observations of visitors.
- Newman's fans among critics are either people who knew him well, worked with him, or other people who have had the experience at second hand through what these critics have written.
- She had grown tired of experiencing life at second hand.