sustantivo (plural sheaths /ʃiːðz, ʃiːθs/)
- 1A close-fitting cover for the blade of a knife or sword.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Drawing the sword free of the sheath she inspected the blade.
- Shaking his head at the stupidity of his thoughts, he pulled the sword from its sheath and swung the blade experimentally.
- The anger was beginning to show as he took his sword from its sheath and positioned the blade so that it was at the guard's neck.
- 1.1A structure in living tissue which closely envelops another: the fatty sheath around nerve fibresMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The tumor infiltrated perineural sheaths and peripancreatic fatty tissue.
- The median nerve and the tendon of palmaris profundus are ensheathed in a common sheath of connective tissue.
- It is the breakdown of the synovial tissue of tendon sheaths that gives rise to most ganglia.
- 1.2A protective covering around an electric cable.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Films of silica act like the plastic sheath on copper cable, since silica is insulating.
- Installation is a breeze, and they even provide you with enough in the way of sheaths to keep your cables tidy if you need to.
- The linear symmetry of the gold-colored cable sheaths was especially important.
- 1.3 (also sheath dress) A woman’s close-fitting dress.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Then, there's that generation who never wore anything more formal than a black sheath dress with a knit cardigan.
- The skinny adolescent is dressed to kill in a black sheath dress, gloves and a straw pillbox hat with a veil.
- A simple sheath dress or suit with gorgeous shoes and accessories can also save you from maxing out a credit card for a one night only outfit and be appropriate too.
- 1.4chiefly British A condom.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- This bill aims to take away the criminalised aspect of that, and it de-penalises the aspect of having evidence of safe sex on the premises - that is, condoms, sheaths, diaphragms, and lubricants.
- The condom, or male sheath, was quite a late development.
- Protective and decorative penis sheaths were common among primitive societies.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Such a floppy, sheathless notochord cannot push effectively on the surrounding embryonic tissues, but rather folds up like a wet noodle as it elongates relative to the surrounding embryo.
- We developed a new sheathless technique for percutaneous intraaortic balloon catheter insertion which reduces the effective catheter diameter.
- A variety of tip shapes and conducting coatings were evaluated using an electrospray time-of-flight mass spectrometer run in the sheathless mode.
Old English scǣth, scēath 'scabbard', of Germanic origin; related to Dutch schede, German Scheide, also to the verb shed2.