- 1(Especially in Ireland, Scotland, and South Africa) an unlicensed establishment or private house selling alcohol and typically regarded as slightly disreputable.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- There in the shebeen they sold poteen and punch while in the pubs, beer and spirits were available.
- Joe would hang out in the many shebeens (unlicensed drinking venues) in the area, and one of his early influences was the sound of Duke Vin, a local resident who introduced the first reggae sound system to Britain.
- While transporting Brennan to the assizes at Clonmel, his escort stopped to rest at a shebeen (an unlicensed or informal pub) and allowed him to enjoy his pipe.
- 1.1(In South Africa) an informal licensed drinking place in a township.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Mahog is brandy as served in township shebeens (many now legalized as taverns) and possibly from English mahogany.
- In other cases members were drunk at shebeens or taverns when their guns were stolen.
- Time to control the number of shebeens in the townships, and provide training to community members how to drink ‘responsibly’.
late 18th century: from Anglo-Irish síbín, from séibe 'mugful'.
Más definiciones de shebeenDefinición de shebeen en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.