A hereditary commander-in-chief in feudal Japan. Because of the military power concentrated in his hands and the consequent weakness of the nominal head of state (the mikado or emperor), the shogun was generally the real ruler of the country until feudalism was abolished in 1867.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Over time, these powerful families were, in turn, replaced as the real - but unofficial - locus of power by various shoguns.
- From then effective power lay with the shogun rather than the emperor.
- During the next two centuries, under the leadership of successive shoguns, Japan gradually achieved a stable population and more sustainable rates of resource consumption.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Yoritomo's kamakura shogunate was replaced in 1333 by the Ashikaga shogunate, but its rule was one of prolonged civil strife.
- During the early part of the 17th century, Japan's shogunate suspected that the traders and missionaries were actually forerunners of a military conquest by European powers.
- The Ashikaga military clan took control of the shogunate and moved its headquarters back to Kyoto, to the Muromachi district of the city.
Japanese, from Chinese jiāng jūn 'general'.
Palabras que riman con shogunblowgun
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda