Definición de skimmington en inglés:
A procession made through a village intended to bring ridicule on and make an example of a nagging wife or an unfaithful husband.
- Athough skimmingtons and charivaris differed from place to place, they all contained similar elements.
- I think it's high time we bring back the skimmington ride, this time with a bluesy rock n’ roll beat.
- Other marital irregularities in Burbage at later periods gave cause for skimmingtons, which are recorded in 1625 and 1835.
early 17th century: perhaps from skimming ladle, used as a thrashing instrument during the procession.
- Hold a skimmington procession: wife-beating was thought dishonourable and was punished in both England and America by riding skimmingtonMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The poor Tories are suffering the most cruel persecutions; some have been obliged to ride skimmington.
- The plaintiff declares, that he is a hackney- coachman, and that the defendant with an intent to disgrace him did ride Skimmington.
Definición de skimmington en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan