Definición de skimmington en inglés:
A procession made through a village intended to bring ridicule on and make an example of a nagging wife or an unfaithful husband.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Athough skimmingtons and charivaris differed from place to place, they all contained similar elements.
- I think it's high time we bring back the skimmington ride, this time with a bluesy rock n’ roll beat.
- Other marital irregularities in Burbage at later periods gave cause for skimmingtons, which are recorded in 1625 and 1835.
Early 17th century: perhaps from skimming ladle, used as a thrashing instrument during the procession.
- Hold a skimmington procession: wife-beating was thought dishonourable and was punished in both England and America by riding skimmingtonMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The poor Tories are suffering the most cruel persecutions; some have been obliged to ride skimmington.
- The plaintiff declares, that he is a hackney- coachman, and that the defendant with an intent to disgrace him did ride Skimmington.
Definición de skimmington en:
- Diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en EE. UU.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Malasia