sustantivo (plural skivvies)
- 1British • informal A female domestic servant who performs menial tasks: I found a job as a maid-of-all-work, a skivvyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- In upper-class households there was often a hierarchy of servants ‘below stairs', ranging from the butler to kitchen skivvies.
- Be realistic: he is never going to tidy up if he has a skivvy to do it for him and give him back his stuff all sorted, clean, tidy and ready to use.
- She said the new laws would protect Pakistani teenagers who were brought over to be little more than skivvies to an unknown husband and his family.
- 1.1A person doing work that is poorly paid and considered menial: I’m really the office skivvyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- They want to be treated with respect, not taken for granted as low paid skivvies.
- Are they teachers, managers, social workers or skivvies?
- And the choice of placements totally eclipses the old stigma of office typist or work site skivvy.
- 2 (also skivvy shirt) US & Australian A lightweight high-necked long-sleeved garment.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- But Couples doesn't wear a skivvy shirt under his golf tunic to minimize the subcutaneous fat.
- Wear your western shirt open and untucked over a skivvy to draw the eye down and create the illusion of a more sculpted, leaner silhouette.
- The brown skivvy, open and zipped up, may be worn with dress order 4A DCPU barracks dress and 4B DPCU field dress.
- 2.1A T-shirt or short-sleeved vest.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- I had also found a more suitable top, a black body hugging woollen skivvy.
- 3 (skivvies) North American • trademark Underwear consisting of a vest and underpants.[originally a US navy term]Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Undies, underwear, or skivvies were all deemed acceptable.
- Just go to this link and find a short story that sends the shivers down to your skivvies.
- One had pulled on jeans, one was in skivvy shorts, and one responded nude.
verbo (skivvies, skivvying, skivvied)[no object] British • informal Volver al principio
- Do menial household tasks; work as a skivvy: I was skivvying for that Brixton familyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Antonin was taken in by a busy cook who offered him bed and board in exchange for skivvying.
- Burke's opportunity to ditch the skivvying came when his ailing grandfather divided up some inheritance money before passing away.
- Thank you, thank you for letting us come here and skivvy for you 12 hours a day for less than a fiver an hour.
early 20th century: of unknown origin.
Más definiciones de skivvyDefinición de skivvy en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.