- 1A large, thick, flat piece of stone or concrete, typically square or rectangular in shape: paving slabs she settled on a slab of rockMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Massive concrete floor slabs provide thermal storage, collecting heat and giving it off again later on.
- Concrete paving slabs, available from the big DIY chains, can look almost as good as the real thing.
- A concrete slab on grade or floor is going to crack.
- 1.1A flat, heavy table top or counter, used during the preparation or display of food: a fishmonger’s slabMás ejemplos en oraciones
- There is a room divider topped with an enormous slab of black granite, to neatly bisect the dining area.
- 1.2British A table used for laying a body on in a mortuary: he averted his eyes from the corpse on the slabMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Some churches are as warm and inviting as a mortuary slab.
- She begins to experiment, creating casts of mortuary slabs as well as mundane household objects.
- Whiteread cast them from two mortuary slabs which she had bought from a salvage yard in Hackney.
- 1.3 Climbing A large, smooth body of rock lying at a sharp angle to the horizontal: he handled the rope competently and set out up the centre of the slabMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Start at the lowest rocks and climb the slabs above until stopped by a smooth bulge.
- A small lip guarded the final corner, which lead to a very smooth slab.
- Jake climbed up onto the slab of rock again and sat there with his legs crossed, staring down at me.
- 2A large, thick slice or piece of cake, bread, chocolate, etc.: a slab of bread and cheeseMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Stuff it into a red bell pepper instead of sandwiching it between two slabs of Wonder bread.
- We enjoyed it with a slab of delicious chocolate cake.
- There is something utterly indulgent, delicious and satisfying about a slab of chocolate cake.
- 3An outer piece of timber sawn from a log: the slabs I trimmed away from the logs became the siding for the cabin wallsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- There was raw chicken on a driftwood slab for this farewell meal too.
- This is where we met them, crawling out of timber slab houses.
- Now we were before the great hall itself, and I looked up at timber walls made of slabs of oak four times my height.
- 4Australian /NZ • informal A pack containing 24 bottles or cans of beer.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Winner gets a free slab of beer and all the pies that they can eat.
- There were hundreds, if not thousands, of megalitres being traded for one slab of beer.
- Load up the ute with two spare tyres and a few slabs of beer, we're off on a virtual road trip through the history of life.
verbo (slabs, slabbing, slabbed)[with object] (often as noun slabbing) Volver al principio
- Remove slabs from (a log or tree) to prepare it for sawing into planks: a well-centred log is more secure for improved slabbing performanceMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The company has developed and supplies a unique slabbing system.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- As they begin to climb the succession of slabby cliffs and steep grassy slopes, Dickey turns to his companions and says, ‘We gotta whack this guy, tonight.’
- It gets better and better, the water cutting deeper into the curved and hollowed rock, with slabby undercuts and terraced waterfalls.
- The side view would be slabby except that it is broken well by a crease along the doorhandle lines and a well-placed rubbing strip.
Middle English: of unknown origin.