- 1A large, heavy hammer used for such jobs as breaking rocks and driving in fence posts.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- We succeeded in moving some rocks, breaking up several large ones with sledgehammers before we broke the handles on Dave and Stan's largest hammers.
- To get to the watches, the thieves had to break half-inch thick glass with a sledgehammer or other heavy implement.
- In the other picture, five black men in undershirts and overalls are driving a massive iron support into the ground with heavy sledgehammers.
- 1.1 [as modifier] Powerful; forceful: sledgehammer blowsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Though the famous corkscrew left crashed to its mark on Darcy's chin with all its old-time power, the psychological effect of its impotency was almost as unnerving as were Darcy's own sledgehammer blows.
- Jobs have been lost all over the US - but Ohio has been hit by a series of sledgehammer blows.
- Was that feeling not worth this disabling sledgehammer blow of sorrow?
- 1.2 [as modifier] Ruthless, insensitive, or using unnecessary force: under his sledgehammer direction, anything of subtlety is swampedMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Yet Robbins's mix of pile-driver satire and sledgehammer sentiment crushes this enthusiasm by making one thing appallingly clear: just because you are on the side of the angels, it doesn't mean you are any good.
- This has given him more freedom to come and go as he pleases, and not worry about where he's going and who he's seeing, without having the possibility of a sledgehammer response coming from the homeland.
- His argument isn't funny, though - it's a sledgehammer use of manipulative language to bluff Australians into believing they can't decide against war.
verbo[with object] Volver al principio
- Hit with a sledgehammer: the jailhouse door was sledgehammered • figurative he sledgehammers obduracy with scholarship and invectiveMás ejemplos en oraciones
- They had sledgehammered the door and it caved in.
- The stakes are sledgehammered into the ground about 10 to 12 inches and two 3-inch sheetrock screws are used to secure each stake.
- Hence, I spent a good morning on Sunday sledgehammering the concrete fenceposts out of the front garden.
Más definiciones de sledgehammerDefinición de sledgehammer en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.