- Denoting or involving a state of a liquid crystal in which the molecules are oriented in parallel and arranged in well-defined planes. Compare with nematic.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Our results suggest that of the multiple structures which different monolayers form when supercompressed, pulmonary surfactant collapses by the same mechanism as other compounds that form smectic liquid-crystal bulk phases.
- Molecules in the smectic phase have orientational as well as a small amount of positional order.
- Hydrated phospholipids themselves are liquid-crystals, and in these multiple respects, their behavior resembles that of at least some other compounds that form smectic bulk phases.
sustantivoVolver al principio
- A smectic substance.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- There also exists higher order smectics which form layers with positional ordering within the layers.
- We outline the possible experimental significance of our findings for the rheology of both aligned and polydomain smectics.
- We find that the quantum smectics are rather different from the usual classical smectics in that the density correlations along the direction of the stripes manifest a Bragg-Glass type behaviour whereas those in the transverse direction are infra-red divergent.
late 17th century: via Latin from Greek smēktikos 'cleansing' (because of the soap-like consistency).
Más definiciones de smecticDefinición de smectic en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.