Definición de smell en inglés:
- It's hard to breathe, your nose drips constantly and your sense of smell just isn't what it used to be.
- All anteaters have an excellent sense of smell; sight and hearing are not as well developed.
- On the day of the test none of the subjects reported to be suffering from nasal congestion or any other symptom thought to affect their sense of smell.
- Christmas morning came with the smells of pine from candles and coffee in the kitchen.
- Putrid smells of raw sewage and burning garbage become acceptable after being exposed to these foul scents for a long enough time.
- As we were driving down these terrible, lumpy, unlit streets we were constantly catching whiffs of different smells.
- My last apartment had a smell to it - though I have no idea why.
- It took us forever to figure out why we had a smell when we'd open certain upper cabinets in the kitchen.
verbo (past and past participle smelt /smɛlt/ or smelled)Volver al principio
- From inside, I could hear the crackling of a fire and could smell the burning wood.
- He kissed the top of her head, smelling the sweet lavender scent of her shampoo.
- The mother of three owns a natural products shop in Oriental, N.C., but was unable to smell the fragrant herbs she sells.
- We separated the cats into two separate rooms and let them smell each other under the door.
- And the new initiatives are bomb sniffing dogs we are looking at, so can smell explosives hidden in containers.
- A police dog who happens to smell an illegal substance on casual passing in a train station is probably cause for detaining you.
- The National Party council could smell the trouble back then in December.
- Lemond was unconvinced and believed, like many others, Hinault could smell a record sixth victory.
- Even without any evidence he can smell out the truth.
- You poured in everything that was left of the geranium essence, until the room was warm and scented and smelled like an exotic hothouse.
- But something else came with the earthy scent - something that smelled like smoke.
- It went on like this for several more rounds before what was in the pot finally tasted and smelled like something you'd want to serve on pasta.
- It is hard to describe what it is like under these bridges, where there is not enough height for a person to stand up straight, it smells, and the wind blows and even howls through the darkness.
- Someone comes into the building and it smells, things fall off in their hands, the floor doesn't look too secure.
- The carcass which had already began to smell revealed a red mess with two holes where eyes should have been.
- I'm sure the parent company is optimistic but this smells like the beginning of the end of Koo Koo Roo to me.
- Regardless of whether Kranish ever meant to write fluff for Kerry's book or not, the Elliott story smells like a put-up job.
Middle English: of unknown origin.
No one is sure where smell comes from—there is no related word in other languages. To come up smelling of roses is to make a lucky escape from a difficult or unpleasant situation with your reputation intact. Rose bushes thrive on plenty of manure, and the image here is of someone falling into a freshly fertilized rose bed. Dating from the 1930s and American in origin, is stop and smell the roses, or take time to fully appreciate life's pleasures. If someone tells you to wake up and smell the coffee, on the other hand, they are urging you to be less relaxed, and to become more realistic or alert. The phrase was popularized by the US advice columnist Ann Landers from the mid 1950s.
- Discern weakness or vulnerability in an opponent: the leader of the opposition, who smelt blood, accused the government of the biggest tax hike everMás ejemplos en oraciones
- But it is the conservative opposition that is smelling blood as the Greek Socialists struggle desperately to avoid defeat next Sunday, forcing them out of office after more than 20 years of almost uninterrupted rule.
- Oppositions always cry resign when they smell blood, merely because that's what Oppositions do.
- The Tories will smell blood and be an effective opposition again at last.
smell a rat
- informal Begin to suspect trickery or deception: when he died, investigators were called in and soon smelt a ratMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Residents of Hopgrove were sent letters informing them their wheelie bins would arrive at the beginning of April but, when none turned up, they began to smell a rat.
- Within a few days however somebody began to smell a rat when the ‘exact same letter’ - except for the signatures of course - began to turn up in eleven different US local newspaper groups.
- They failed to smell a rat despite Baron Cohen's absurd questions.
smell the roses
- North American informal Enjoy or appreciate what is often ignored: they need to wake up and smell the rosesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- If we have enough food on the table, and gainful employment, then we should take time to smell the roses and enjoy the precious moments of our lives - like sands in an hour glass.
- It's important to take time out once in a while to enjoy the fruits of one's labours, smell the roses and enjoy.
- But bloody hell that girl has to wake up and smell the roses.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Most of what is commonly called the sense of taste is in fact the sense of smell, whether applied to wine, or any food or drink, since by chewing we transform our food into liquid which gives off smellable vapour.
- The purpose of a smellable toy is to further the pets interest in playing with the toy.
- The mama bear checked every part of our camping ground part by a part and searched any smellable things there were.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Mosquitoes may be great smellers, but they are weak fliers.
- It is unclear what exactly makes dogs such good smellers, though much more of the dog brain is devoted to smell than it is in humans.
- Thus while Lynda learns that ‘good’ smells are relative to the smeller, the reader also assumes from this panel that Lynda's neighbors moved to avoid further contact with the smells from Lynda's home.
Palabras que riman con smellAdele, Aix-la-Chapelle, aquarelle, artel, au naturel, bagatelle, béchamel, befell, bell, belle, boatel, Brunel, Cadell, carousel, cartel, cell, Chanel, chanterelle, clientele, Clonmel, compel, Cornell, crime passionnel, dell, demoiselle, dispel, dwell, el, ell, Estelle, excel, expel, farewell, fell, Fidel, fontanelle, foretell, Gabrielle, gazelle, gel, Giselle, hell, hotel, impel, knell, lapel, mademoiselle, maître d'hôtel, Manuel, marcel, matériel, mesdemoiselles, Michel, Michelle, Miguel, misspell, morel, moschatel, Moselle, motel, muscatel, nacelle, Nell, Nobel, Noel, organelle, outsell, Parnell, pell-mell, personnel, propel, quell, quenelle, rappel, Raquel, Ravel, rebel, repel, Rochelle, Sahel, sardelle, sell, shell, show-and-tell, Snell, spell, spinel, swell, tell, undersell, vielle, villanelle, well, yell
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.