adjetivo (sorrier, sorriest)
- 1 [predic.] Feeling sad or distressed through sympathy with someone else’s misfortune: I was sorry to hear about what happened to your familyMás ejemplos en oraciones
sad, unhappy, sorrowful, distressed, upset, depressed, downcast, miserable, downhearted, disheartened, dejected, down, despondent, despairing, disconsolate, broken-hearted, heartbroken, inconsolable, grief-strickensympathetic, pitying, compassionate, moved, commiserative, consoling, empathetic, caring, concerned, understanding
- We are very sorry that Mrs Collins has experienced distress, and we are still waiting to establish the facts.
- One juror identified as Roy said a lot of people want you to have sympathy for her and feel sorry.
- I am sorry to hear of your distress, but I assure you that this is not an uncommon problem.
- 1.1 (sorry for) Filled with compassion for: I felt sorry for the poor boys working for himMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Yes, we felt sorry for those figures huddled in shop doorways, particularly on an icy night.
- I just feel really sorry for her because her life's never going to be the same.
- Adjacent is a little caravan site, and this is the only time I have ever felt sorry for caravaners.
- 2 [predic.] Feeling regret or penitence: he said he was sorry he had upset me I’m sorry if I was a bit brusqueMás ejemplos en oraciones
- ‘I am sorry for Mrs McCabe and I'm sorry her husband was killed - we have no argument with her,’ Mr Adams added.
- They are sorry for the inconvenience to customers, but not that sorry.
- I'm sorry for being so damned insensitive in the first place, and I'm sorry about the whole Steve thing.
- 2.1Used to express apology: sorry—I was trying not to make a noiseMás ejemplos en oraciones
- I may post more later, if I can sort out my thoughts better (my brain is slush at the moment, sorry!)
- But if pre-Christians come expecting God - sorry!
- And I lost his answer, sorry!
- 2.2Used as a polite request that someone should repeat something that one has failed to hear or understand: I’m sorry—you were saying?Más ejemplos en oraciones
- So sorry, just to understand your question, if an ET1 is received, what would we like to be doing immediately?
- 3 [attributive] In a poor or pitiful state: he looks a sorry sight with his broken jawMás ejemplos en oraciones
- A neglected garden is a sorry sight and a poor producer.
- Pity instead the poor public, those sorry souls into whose lives the media machine has pumped a decade's worth of pouting.
- You've proved that your a bunch of sorry pitiful bastards.
- 3.1Unpleasant and regrettable, especially on account of incompetence or misbehaviour: we feel so ashamed that we keep quiet about the whole sorry businessMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Add to these charges the negligence and incompetence shown throughout this sorry affair.
- Update: that was just me moaning because my bank account was in a sorry state.
- There then follows the sorry account, previously reported in these sports pages, of an Italian sausage and a brutal beating from a Pittsburgh Pirate.
sorry for oneself
- Sad and self-pitying: he was sorry for himself in his hopeless lonelinessMás ejemplos en oraciones
- As I once observed: ‘There's a real difference between feeling sorry for yourself and feeling your sorrow.’
- He waited for her, feeling sorry for himself and miserable with his own thoughts about how he had mistrusted her.
- If things don't work out the way you intended, there's no point feeling sorry for yourself; you get up, dust yourself down and get on with it.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- I dropped an old email account over a year ago and have sorrily been missing the newsletter!
- Or, to exhaust this vein of sorrily mixed metaphor, a rare bird.
- If they feel that students have had a chance to comment and have not because they have not emailed them, they are sorrily mistaken.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Despite his injuries, Jared has a very uplifting outlook on life - deal with it, otherwise you will live in a perpetual state of sorriness for yourself.
- Moreover the figure at hand suffers on such occasion because it shows up its sorriness without shade; while vague figures afar off are honoured in that their distance makes artistic virtues of their stains.
- Much sorriness for the rift between the lovers.