- 1The spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It ignores all the empirical evidence for animal awareness while resting on an assumption for which there is no evidence: that human beings but no other animals possess immortal souls.
- I know the idea of animals having reincarnated human souls is hardly a new one… but this was an interesting idea to explore.
- The spiritual life of the soul with God is wounded, often mortally.
- 1.1A person’s moral or emotional nature or sense of identity: in the depths of her soul, she knew he would betray herMás ejemplos en oraciones
spirit, psyche, (inner) self, innermost self, (inner) ego, inner being, true being, essential nature, animating principle, life force, vital force, inner man/woman; persona, identity, personality, individuality, make-up, subconsciouska; Hinduism atman
- Mothering is a journey we experience with our whole selves: our senses, our souls, our emotions, our minds.
- It's happy music, but it comes from our souls, from our emotional scars.
- These images, this news, does something to us, eats away at our souls and sense of hope for the world.
- 2 [mass noun] Emotional or intellectual energy or intensity, especially as revealed in a work of art or an artistic performance: their interpretation lacked soulMás ejemplos en oraciones
- His shows are redolent of soul, intense emotion, and a deep connection to the music.
- Of course, the longer that lack of heart and soul and courage and energy remained, the more it became a way of being, a destructive habit.
- Lacking in intensity and soul, the album comes off as a bland mix of all things electronic - in this café only decaf is on the menu.
- 2.2 short for soul music.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Soca, ragga, R&B, hip hop, soul, funk, even techno and house music blares through hundreds of sound systems.
- Kaveh will also be playing reggae, Afro-beat, soul, hip hop, kwaito and raï.
- Promising more of his signature mix of rock, soul and folk music, the album is also said to venture into new territory, while journeying back to explore some of his roots.
- 3The essence or embodiment of a specified quality: he was the soul of discretion brevity is the soul of witMás ejemplos en oraciones
- In public, at least, Kirk, who lives close to the Wight memorial in Thirsk, is the soul of diplomacy, maintaining that the amateur route will eventually reap dividends.
- He is the soul of Christian courtesy and charity.
- There are two women in Britain who make her look the soul of discretion, refinement and good taste.
- 3.1An individual person: I’ll never tell a soul it was bad news for some poor soulMás ejemplos en oraciones
- But among the candidates are 27 individual brave souls who are not affiliated to any party.
- I had to be forcibly stopped from standing on a table and openly apologising to the other poor souls who had been similarly treated - not to mention ripped-off - in my own country.
- These associations are exclusive ‘clubs’ where these poor deluded souls can imagine that they are figures of importance and influence in the local community.
- 3.2A person regarded with affection or pity: she’s a nice old soulMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Josie was a gentle soul who was highly regarded by his neighbours.
- As a youth, I was a friendly soul, palling around with all and sundry.
- We haven't been in the company of nice souls like you for a long time now.
- A soul that is damned.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- God of the lost, God of the found, grant us the love to rejoice with each lost soul that is found, remembering that others welcomed us when we were gathered in.
- Divine love will not transform the lost soul or readers who are this type.
- On the contrary, to judge by the entries in his Journal at this time, he tended to regard himself very much as a sinner and a lost soul.
- chiefly • humorous A person who seems unable to cope with everyday life: a few lost souls wander aimlessly down to the front and stare up at the stageMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The nice thing is that everyone left at 12, so I have the entire building to myself - and have locked my office door in case some lost soul wanders by looking for help I can't give.
- He is an emotionless, lost soul wandering the streets and helping out strangers while looking for a clean razor and dry cleaner for his dirty overcoat!
- While not locked in his office, he wanders the corridors like a lost soul.
upon my soul!
- • dated An exclamation of surprise.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- 'Arkadian...Arkadian...' the Englishman mutters. 'Why, upon my soul, I believe I do!'
- And upon my soul, Sir Wilton, how harsh you are upon my sex!
- [in combination]: she was a great-souled characterMás ejemplos en oraciones
- It doesn't make any difference whether this action originated in spite, or in a higher souled attempt to maintain the standard of Australian art.
- He called human beings double souled animals.
- Great souled priests full of wise counsel and abundant pastoral mercies.
Old English sāwol, sāw(e)l, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch ziel and German Seele.