1 [mass noun] The action of measuring the depth of a body of water.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The tedium of dredging and sounding very likely accounted for the high attrition of ship's personnel by desertion.
- But physical sounding with a line never had much of a chance as a means of mapping the silent landscape - better eyes were needed.
- A team of Navy hydrographers would be sent in to conduct detailed soundings and tidal observations of both the Koksoak River and Frobisher Bay.
2 (soundings) Information or evidence ascertained as a preliminary step before taking action: he took soundings about the possibility of moving offices
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The Boundary Commission for England has been criss-crossing the towns and villages in the region, taking soundings before publishing draft recommendations in December.
- The 44-year-old leader has reportedly been taking soundings from party grandees over his strategy for the election and the referendum on the European constitution, which is likely to follow soon afterwards.
- Even the Chinese government has been taking soundings on the idea of a flat tax, with leading academics calling for a reduction in the rate of tax from 45% to 20% or less.
Palabras que riman con soundinggrounding, surrounding
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
= de moda