- Relating to Sparta in ancient Greece.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- My jaw literally dropped as the girl started picking out books about ancient Spartan history - senior school work.
- With the collapse of Spartan hegemony in 371, the fragmentation of Greece was such that it became harder to find allies than to hire troops.
- Those two aspects of Spartan culture and society by themselves make Sparta worthy of our continued study, but they far from exhaust Sparta's fascination.
sustantivoVolver al principio
- A citizen of Sparta.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The Spartans were the Dorian inhabitants of a Greek city-state in the Peloponnese that for many centuries was one of the greatest of Greek powers.
- The Spartans finally won through Lysander's abilities as a general and his friendship with Cyrus, the son of the Persian King, who financed the Spartan navy more regularly and fully than it had been.
- At the outbreak of the Peloponnesian War the Spartans slew any trader they caught sailing around their coast line, irrespective of their ethnicity.
- Showing or characterized by austerity or a lack of comfort or luxury: the accommodation was fairly spartanMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Because it is such a spartan environment and lacks significant variation or detail, it lends itself readily to imaginative transformation.
- The dining room, not exactly spartan but simpler than most of Starck's restaurant interiors, is high enough to afford fine westerly views upriver to the City and beyond.
- Schmidt is potentially a cold character, spartan with words and frugal with money.
mid 17th century: from Spartan1, because the inhabitants of Sparta were traditionally held to be indifferent to comfort or luxury.