1A large number of similar things coming in quick succession: a spate of attacks on holidaymakers
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- After a spate of attacks in March and April this year, bookmakers have become increasingly successful in fending off attacks.
- With greed left to take its course, a spate of scandals has erupted among foundations and charities.
- Technology stocks took a fresh battering after a spate of US profit warnings spread gloom across world financial markets.
series, succession, run, cluster, string, outbreak, rash, epidemic, explosion, plague, wave, flurry, rush, flood, deluge, torrent, outpouring
in (full) spate
- (Of a river) overflowing due to a sudden flood.Oraciones de ejemplo
- Should the river be swollen in spate, it is one of the best places in Scotland to witness the true magic of the spectacular leaping antics of the genuine wild Atlantic salmon.
- Not long ago, one used to spot plaques in many parts of the city, depicting the highest flood level of the river in spate.
- Many of the local rivers were in spate especially the Owveg River.
- 1.1Used to refer to a person or action that is continuing with vigour and without pause: the headmaster was in full spateMás ejemplos en oraciones
- By then Stalin's terror was in full spate.
- The sexual revolution was in full spate.
- There are very few occasions as exhilarating as a youth orchestra in full spate.
Late Middle English (originally Scots and northern English in the sense 'flood, inundation'): of unknown origin.
Palabras que riman con spateabate, ablate, aerate, ait, await, backdate, bait, bate, berate, castrate, collate, conflate, crate, create, cremate, date, deflate, dictate, dilate, distraite, donate, downstate, eight, elate, equate, estate, fate, fête, fixate, freight, frustrate, gait, gate, gestate, gradate, grate, great, gyrate, hate, hydrate, inflate, innate, interrelate, interstate, irate, Kate, Kuwait, lactate, late, locate, lustrate, mandate, mate, migrate, misdate, misstate, mistranslate, mutate, narrate, negate, notate, orate, ornate, Pate, placate, plate, prate, prorate, prostrate, pulsate, pupate, quadrate, rate, rotate, sate, sedate, serrate, short weight, skate, slate, spectate, spruit, stagnate, state, straight, strait, Tate, tête-à-tête, Thwaite, translate, translocate, transmigrate, truncate, underrate, understate, underweight, update, uprate, upstate, up-to-date, vacate, vibrate, wait, weight
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: spate
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda