- 1Clearly defined or identified: savings were made by increasing the electricity supply only until it met specific development needsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- You must identify clearly the specific children for whom you are making the request.
- Clearly defined and specific objectives provide yardsticks for measurement.
- In this work it is hard to identify specific organs, aside from the pair of yellow mounds at one end that appear to represent lungs.
- 1.1Precise and clear in making statements or issuing instructions: when ordering goods be specificMás ejemplos en oraciones
- A friend of mine sent me a copy of the May 2000 issue with specific instructions to read your article.
- Refer to current labels for specific details and instructions.
- While I'm not exactly clear on the specific details, I believe that he is valued by both sides.
- 1.2Belonging or relating uniquely to a particular subject: information needs are often very specific to individualsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Some events are specific to a particular ethnic group.
- Whether they are valid or not is specific to each particular situation.
- Each disc comes with a documentary unique to the specific subject matter and a general documentary about the show itself.
- 3(Of a duty or a tax) levied at a fixed rate per physical unit of the thing taxed, regardless of its price.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- All specific excise taxes are unfair in that no tax contribution is made by non-consumers.
sustantivoVolver al principio
- 1chiefly • dated A medicine or remedy effective in treating a particular disease or part of the body: he grasped at the idea as though she had offered him a specific for cancerMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Licorice root is a specific for low adrenal function.
- 2 (usually specifics) A precise detail: I wish I’d put more thought into the specificsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The by-laws of the association detail the specifics.
- She is keener to discuss life in philosophical terms than the specifics of her new novel.
- I just want to focus in on defining the specifics of the issues.
- they don’t talk specifically about education [sentence adverb]: these are war, or more specifically anti-war, novelsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Is there anything you have to say specifically about the position of the husband?
- Some antenatal care is specifically directed at monitoring the development of the baby.
- Not a shred of evidence was directed specifically to public user of the route.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He has got to answer the questions with detail, with specificity.
- Does your interest in the specificity of a site relate to your sculptural past?
- It's a call for specificity and clarity - worthwhile aims in any kind of writing.
mid 17th century (originally in the sense 'having a special determining quality'): from late Latin specificus, from Latin species (see species).