Definición de spirant en inglés:
(Of a consonant) uttered with a continuous expulsion of breath.
- There are three types of mutations, the nasal mutation, the spirant mutation and lenition.
- Despite this assertion I do not believe the spirant pronunciation is obvious at all.
- All the Welsh grammars say Welsh has 3 types of mutation - soft, nasal and spirant, and 9 consonants that are mutable.
sustantivoVolver al principio
A spirant consonant; a fricative.
- The shifting of the voiced spirants and explosives did not extend over all the HG. dialects.
- When we extend our analysis to Western and Southern Numic, we are forced to conclude that in no Numic language have the taps ever belonged to a series of spirants.
- That leaves the rest of the ‘spirants’ free and clear.
mid 19th century: from Latin spirant- 'breathing', from the verb spirare.
- Example sentences
- The constraint which forces spirantization also predicts the distribution of released and unreleased stops.
- This paper presents the results of a first acoustic phonetic investigation into voiceless spirantization in the variety of Tuscan Italian spoken in Siena.
- This study addresses whether or not intervocalic nasal consonants in Spanish undergo spirantization in aerodynamic terms.
spirantize (also spirantise) verbo
- Example sentences
- As a result, the endings are spirantized since they now follow directly on a vowel sound.
- Since there is no voiced bilabial fricative in English, when you spirantize a [b] in English you often get [v].
- But they did not participate in the later spirantizing and deaffrication processes that characterize the consonant systems of the recorded Iranian languages.
Definición de spirant en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan