- 1Relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things: I’m responsible for his spiritual welfareMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Ackroyd may have jettisoned traditional Catholicism, but in his work humans are spiritual beings with souls that survive death and time.
- Our spiritual existence affects our physical existence, and vice versa.
- Encouraging mutuality acknowledges that our spiritual existence affects our physical existence.
- 1.1Having a relationship based on a profound level of mental or emotional communion: he never forgot his spiritual fatherMás ejemplos en oraciones
- I have a spiritual relationship with Mullah Omar.
- Some dive for spiritual communion with their inner self.
- He never got it finished and it was his friend and spiritual son, Edouard Dermi who finished his work.
- 1.2(Of a person) not concerned with material values or pursuits.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It is full of thought, and she was an intellectual and spiritual person.
- We are trying to be spiritual people in this field.
- ‘We're spiritual people, but we've got our feet on the ground,’ Christophere explains.
- 2Relating to religion or religious belief: the country’s spiritual leaderMás ejemplos en oraciones
- What happens to the religious or spiritual beliefs of soldiers when they go to battle?
- While we respect religious creeds, spiritual leaders and church councils, none of these can bind our consciences or force us to believe or observe anything outside of Bible truth.
- Lately, however, methods have been developed to assess religiosity and spiritual beliefs.
sustantivoVolver al principio
- (also Negro spiritual) A religious song of a kind associated with black Christians of the southern US, and thought to derive from the combination of European hymns and African musical elements by black slaves.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The Cwmbach Male Voice Choir entertained with a traditional repertoire of Welsh hymns, spirituals and songs from opera and the shows.
- One of the first, Songs of Zion was published by the United Methodist Church and contains a history of black music in addition to hymns, spirituals and gospel songs.
- In this collection are old British and American ballads, Civil War songs, blues, frolic tunes, children's games, nonsense songs, lullabies, spirituals, and more.
one's spiritual home
- A place in which one feels a strong sense of belonging: I had always thought of Italy as my spiritual homeMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The Taliban was in total disarray and heading for the hills last night after losing control of Jalalabad and appearing to have been ousted from Kandahar, their spiritual home.
- As warm-up for Joan Rivers, the odd couple found their spiritual home on stage - as she put it, ‘the best opening act in their price range’.
- Football once again showed its power to unite last night as hundreds of Bradford City fans descended on their spiritual home as the club's desperate battle for survival stepped up a gear.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In the west, atheism has always been seen as totally at odds with religion and spirituality.
- Sometimes I need a little reminder about the mysticism and spirituality of my faith.
- Part of its appeal is that unlike religion, spirituality does not come with a moral code.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- If one learns to communicate with oneself, one progresses spiritually, and one is never lonely.
- Then, my partner at the time left me, and this was a devastating blow to me, emotionally and spiritually.
- I had been allowing other's attitudes to influence how I saw myself spiritually.
Middle English: from Old French spirituel, from Latin spiritualis, from spiritus (see spirit).