(In the life cycle of plants with alternating generations) the asexual and usually diploid phase, producing spores from which the gametophyte arises. It is the dominant form in vascular plants, e.g. the frond of a fern.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The alternate phase of the plant life cycle is the sporophyte, the diploid plant form, with each cell containing two complete sets of chromosomes.
- Placental morphology is remarkably diverse between major bryophyte groups, especially with regard to the presence and distribution of transfer cells in the sporophyte and gametophyte.
- In maize, in particular, cell death events are known to occur throughout normal development both in the sporophyte and in the gametophyte.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- In both species there are several layers of cells with labyrinthine walls (transfer cells) on both the sporophytic and gametophytic side of the placenta.
- Self-incompatibility mechanisms have traditionally been found to operate in styles with either a sporophytic or gametophytic incompatibility system.
- Seed development requires co-ordinated expression of embryo and endosperm and is controlled by sporophytic, male gametophytic, and female gametophytic genes.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: sporo|phyte
Definición de sporophyte en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda