Definición de squirrel en inglés:
1An agile tree-dwelling rodent with a bushy tail, typically feeding on nuts and seeds.
- Tree-dwelling squirrels have lovely bushy tails, and we realised that the little ones, from the look of them, were also from one such splendid family line.
- Small rodents, such as hamsters, squirrels, chipmunks, mice, and rabbits, do not typically carry rabies.
- The ability of squirrels to harvest seed crops before they fall to the ground may make them less sensitive to species interactions on the forest floor.
1.1A related rodent of the squirrel family. See ground squirrel, flying squirrel.
- Alpine marmots are large ground-dwelling squirrels living in mountain open meadows.
- As in ground-dwelling squirrels, factors other than social complexity may determine complexity of communication.
- Numerous species of ground-dwelling squirrels have been described from the Blancan of the Great Plains.
1.2 [mass noun] The fur of the squirrel.
- This is the trade name for brushes made of squirrel, goat, pony, bear, sheep or a blend of the above.
- Collars on keys style flies can be made of squirrel, marabou, cross cut bunny and hackle and combo bunny/hackle that is wrapped around the hook and then swept back.
verbo (squirrels, squirrelling, squirrelled; US squirrels, squirreling, squirreled)Volver al principio
1 [with object] (squirrel something away) Hide money or something of value in a safe place: the money was squirrelled away in foreign bank accounts
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- But why not consider doing what many of us do, and self insure by squirreling the money you save into a savings account?
- A new analysis of the scheme from the Revenue Commissioners shows the percentage of people on lower incomes squirrelling away money has increased compared with those on middle and higher incomes.
- I wouldn't like to die having squirrelled money away all my life without having enjoyed it.
2 [no object, with adverbial of direction] Move in an inquisitive and restless manner: they were squirrelling around in the woods in search of something
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- And there's Lisa Wesley and Andrew Blackwood squirrelling away in the greenhouse creating a white-washed model landscape complete with animals, flyovers, factories and numbered points of interest.
- We should cherish these glimpses of her as it won't be long before she goes to ground again, squirrelling away in her Manhattan apartment or the Virginia bolt-hole she shares with two pugs and a Boston terrier.
- I woke up early and squirreled around the kitchen - glazing ham, making salads, chopping this and that, preparing for the evening.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia