(From the 15th century to the late 18th century) the chief magistrate of the United Provinces of the Netherlands.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- First, it was a republic with a stadholder as head of state, not a monarchy or empire like almost everywhere else.
- The final Anglo-Dutch conflict ended in 1674, ushering in a peaceful period that was reinforced when Mary, the English Catholic daughter of James II, married her Protestant cousin Williams ill of Orange, stadtholder of the Netherlands.
- Sarah persuaded Anne to support brother-in-law William of Orange, Protestant stadholder of the Netherlands, when he overthrew James II in 1688.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The Dutch Republic remained sui generis, as it wavered between loose federation and quasi-monarchy in the form of the stadtholdership exercised by the house of Orange in times of emergency.
- The first one who received the stadholdership of Friesland was Count Willem-Lodewijk of Nassau-Dillenburg, son of Count Jan VI of Nassau-Dillenburg who was a younger brother of Willem I of Orange.
- Even after he finished his studies, the Prince used the lodge regularly for political reasons, for it was not until 1747 that he added the stadholdership of Utrecht, Holland, Zeeland and Overijssel to that of Friesland, Groningen, Drenthe and Gelderland.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: stadt|hold¦er
Definición de stadtholder en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda