Definición de stadtholder en inglés:
(From the 15th century to the late 18th century) the chief magistrate of the United Provinces of the Netherlands.
- First, it was a republic with a stadholder as head of state, not a monarchy or empire like almost everywhere else.
- The final Anglo-Dutch conflict ended in 1674, ushering in a peaceful period that was reinforced when Mary, the English Catholic daughter of James II, married her Protestant cousin Williams ill of Orange, stadtholder of the Netherlands.
- Sarah persuaded Anne to support brother-in-law William of Orange, Protestant stadholder of the Netherlands, when he overthrew James II in 1688.
- Example sentences
- The Dutch Republic remained sui generis, as it wavered between loose federation and quasi-monarchy in the form of the stadtholdership exercised by the house of Orange in times of emergency.
- The first one who received the stadholdership of Friesland was Count Willem-Lodewijk of Nassau-Dillenburg, son of Count Jan VI of Nassau-Dillenburg who was a younger brother of Willem I of Orange.
- Even after he finished his studies, the Prince used the lodge regularly for political reasons, for it was not until 1747 that he added the stadholdership of Utrecht, Holland, Zeeland and Overijssel to that of Friesland, Groningen, Drenthe and Gelderland.
Definición de stadtholder en:
- Inglés de EE.UU. dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan