- Managing to gain King Peter's favor, she has acted in his stead during his illness.
- He quoted the Local Autonomy Act, saying that a mayor has to issue an order appointing a deputy mayor to act in his stead.
- They had ceased to patronise the nautch, and in its stead preferred English music or military bands.
stand someone in good stead
- Be advantageous or useful to someone in the future: his early training stood him in good steadMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Zaharia expects the experience gained in this election will stand her in good stead in the future, which, she suggests, could include another campaign.
- But the ability to address a large number of people, from ministers in Parliament to troops on the battlefield, stood Elizabeth in good stead for the future.
- For Guinness, it was ‘a psychological bulwark against the uncertainties of war and fear of the future and it stood me in good stead.’
Old English stede 'place', of Germanic origin; related to Dutch stad 'town', German Statt 'place', Stadt 'town', from an Indo-European root shared by the verb stand.
Old English stede meant ‘place’. From a Germanic source, it is related to Dutch stad ‘town’, German Statt ‘place’, from an Indo-European root shared by the verb stand. Instead (Middle English) is simply ‘in stead, in place of’ run together. The adjective steadfast [Old English] is literally ‘standing firm’; a homestead (Old English) is your ‘home place’; while if you are steady (Middle English) you are not easily moved from your place. See also place
Palabras que riman con steadabed, ahead, bed, behead, Birkenhead, bled, bread, bred, coed, cred, crossbred, dead, dread, Ed, embed, Enzed, fed, fled, Fred, gainsaid, head, infrared, ked, lead, led, Med, misled, misread, Ned, outspread, premed, pure-bred, read, red, redd, said, samoyed, shed, shred, sked, sled, sped, Spithead, spread, ted, thread, tread, underbred, underfed, wed
Definición de stead en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.