Accumulation of large amounts of fat on the buttocks, especially as a normal condition in the Khoikhoi and other peoples of arid parts of southern Africa.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The steatopygia was seen as a pronounced, localized accumulation of fat or fatty-fibrous tissue on the upper part of the buttocks.
- Rather than relying on official scientific publications, however, Cuvier relied on travelers' accounts of the apron and the steatopygia.
- What seems certain is that steatopygia in both sexes was fairly widespread among the early races of man.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Until more historical work is done, possible relationships between cultural constructions of the sodomitical body and those of the steatopygous African woman will remain a matter of speculation.
- She went on her way, her grass skirt swinging rhythmically, resembling one of those steatopygous statues in anthropological museums.
- In the Paleolithic period, steatopygous figures may have suggested fertility, because of the necessity of certain levels of body fat required for procreation.
Early 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek stear, steat- 'tallow' + pugē 'rump'.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: steato|pygia
Definición de steatopygia en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda