Make or become stronger: [with object]: he advises an application of fluoride to strengthen the teeth [no object]: the wind won’t strengthen until after dark
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It spreads and strengthens and multiplies until it smothers anything trying to stifle it.
- Nicotine is the substance that reinforces and strengthens the desire to smoke.
- It strengthens muscles and increases endurance, which is very important during labour.
make strong/stronger, build up, give strength to, make healthy, nourish
become strong/stronger, gain strength, intensify, pick up, heighten
fortify, bolster, make stronger, give strength to, give a boost to, boost, reinforce, harden, stiffen, toughen, steel, cement;
increase, add to, fuel, add fuel to;
reinforce, make more forceful, lend more weight to;
strengthen someone's hand (or hands)
- Enable or encourage a person to act more vigorously or effectively: the military aid will only strengthen the hand of the armyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- In the short run the coup had the effect of strengthening his hand.
- That strengthens Pakistan's hand in its dealings with India.
- The float also strengthens its hand and will bring capital into the business that will be used to reduce debt.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Mr Proudfoot will use poultices to remove encrusted dust and grime before treating the stone with chemical strengtheners to prevent cracking and erosion.
- Calcium and vitamin D are good general bone strengtheners.
- Dips target your lower pectorals, triceps, and shoulders - they are an ideal upper-body strengthener.