- Make or become stronger: [with object]: he advises an application of fluoride to strengthen the teeth [no object]: the wind won’t strengthen until after darkMás ejemplos en oraciones
make strong/stronger, build up, give strength to, make healthy, nourishreinforce, make stronger, buttress, brace, shore up, underpin• rare underproptoughen, temper, annealintensify, pick up, heightenbolster, make stronger, give strength to, give a boost to, boost, reinforce, harden, stiffen, toughen, steel, cement; increase, add to, fuel, add fuel to; renew, vitalize, give new energy to, buoy up, heartenstep up, increase, heighten, escalate, scale upsupport, back up, bolster, confirm, bear out, substantiate, corroborate, authenticate; consolidate
- It spreads and strengthens and multiplies until it smothers anything trying to stifle it.
- Nicotine is the substance that reinforces and strengthens the desire to smoke.
- It strengthens muscles and increases endurance, which is very important during labour.
strengthen someone's hand (or hands)
- Enable or encourage a person to act more vigorously or effectively: the military aid will only strengthen the hand of the armyMás ejemplos en oraciones
- In the short run the coup had the effect of strengthening his hand.
- That strengthens Pakistan's hand in its dealings with India.
- The float also strengthens its hand and will bring capital into the business that will be used to reduce debt.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Mr Proudfoot will use poultices to remove encrusted dust and grime before treating the stone with chemical strengtheners to prevent cracking and erosion.
- Calcium and vitamin D are good general bone strengtheners.
- Dips target your lower pectorals, triceps, and shoulders - they are an ideal upper-body strengthener.