Definición de strict en inglés:
- It was a strict upbringing in which rules were sacrosanct, orders were obeyed without question and everyone knew their place.
- His voice was hard and harsh, strict and stern, sad and happy all at the same time.
- I was also concerned about how scarily strict the authorities down here are on drug use.
- Spitting in and littering of public places can be stopped by enforcing strict rules as well as fines and punishments.
- Nowadays, strict regulations are enforced, banning any type of fishing in the immediate area.
- Enforcing strict rules is the only option available for any vital change in our civic sense.
- Now I am a strict follower of this rule about no corporal punishment whatsoever.
- People still have to learn why and how to support these strict followers of the Buddha.
- And certainly a strict believer in the rule of law like this Supreme Court Justice would agree.
- While true in a strict sense, the fallacy is that most of the assumptions necessary for this argument to be true are not realistic.
- It is obviously impossible to love all men in any strict and true sense.
- This group is unwavering in its strict literal interpretation of the Bible.
late Middle English (in the sense 'restricted in space or extent'): from Latin strictus, past participle of stringere 'tighten, draw tight'.
People first used strict to mean ‘restricted in space or extent’. The 17th-century philosopher Richard Burthogge wrote in 1675: ‘I am apt to think that Hell is of a Vast Extent, and that the bounds and limits of it, are not so strict and narrow, as the most imagine.’ Other early meanings included ‘tight’ and ‘stretched taut’ before the meaning ‘imposing severe discipline’ developed in the late 16th century. The source is Latin strictus, based on stringere ‘to tighten or draw tight’. Stringent (mid 17th century) and its variant astringent (mid 16th century) are from the same source. See also district
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.