- 1Attracting attention by reason of being unusual, extreme, or prominent: the murder bore a striking similarity to an earlier shooting [with clause]: it is striking that no research into the problem is being carried outMás ejemplos en oraciones
noticeable, obvious, conspicuous, evident, salient, visible, distinct, prominent, marked, clear-cut, notable, manifest, unmistakable, distinctive, strong; rare, uncommon, out of the ordinary; significant, remarkable, extraordinary, incredible, amazing, astounding, astonishing, surprising, staggering, phenomenal
- It is also striking that the study was concerned with the factors that influence food selection, like vegetarianism.
- Moreover, it is very striking that Camper, dazzled by the visual aspect, completely forgets the role played by music in the films.
- In this light, one may be surprised by some striking similarities between Islam and its two local forerunners.
- 1.1Dramatically good-looking or beautiful: she is naturally striking a striking landscapeMás ejemplos en oraciones
impressive, imposing, grand, splendid, magnificent, spectacular, breathtaking, superb, marvellous, wonderful, outstanding, dazzling, stunning, staggering, sensational, dramatic, awesome, awe-inspiring, eye-catching, picturesque• archaic splendentstunning, attractive, good-looking, beautiful, glamorous, gorgeous, prepossessing, comely, captivating, enchanting, arresting, ravishing, alluring, handsome, pretty, bonny
- Even if a CD cover is striking or beautiful, it's still small.
- Anne Heazle was the winner of the monthly competition with her beautiful and striking flower arrangement.
- She lifted out the coat, a deep, elegant Chinese red far more striking and beautiful than the catalogue picture.
- 2(Of an employee) on strike: striking mineworkersMás ejemplos en oraciones
- One week later, food and beverage workers joined them, expanding the number of striking employees to 800.
- Both the striking workers and the employer's association have admitted privately that ‘everybody is tired of the strike’.
- A meeting between the striking workers and the employers' association has been scheduled for Monday, 15 July.
sustantivo[mass noun] Volver al principio
- The action of striking: substantial damage was caused by the striking of a submerged objectMás ejemplos en oraciones
- His long-range striking from dead balls was impressive in the first half and no less so into the wind after the break.
- The Tipperary minor's smooth striking from placed balls yielded the No.14 five points, jab lifting from long range and roll lifting closer in.
- The lads' ground striking has improved 100% since the start of the league.
within striking distance
- see distance.
- [as submodifier]: a strikingly beautiful girlMás ejemplos en oraciones
- His face was pleasant - not strikingly beautiful or ugly - but he was handsome I decided.
- The result is unusual and strikingly pretty, especially when held to the light.
- Even an AIDS baby cared for by its strikingly beautiful mother remains an individual.