sustantivo (plural sties)
- A pigsty: • figurative the place is a real sty, beer and wine bottles all over the placeMás ejemplos en oraciones
- It was a complete sty; papers littered the ground, dirty dishes were in the sink, and the windows were covered with a grimy film.
- I'm gonna catch a disease with my clothes torn, my body sweating and now, having to crawl through an absolute sty of filth!
verbo (sties, stying, stied)[with object] • archaic Volver al principio
Old English stī- (in stīfearh 'sty pig'), probably identical with stig 'hall' (see steward), of Germanic origin.
sustantivo (plural sties or styes)
- An inflamed swelling on the edge of an eyelid, caused by bacterial infection of the gland at the base of an eyelash.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Usually the staphylococcal bacteria are not concentrated enough to do any harm, but sometimes they pass deeper into the skin to cause boils, abscesses, styes and carbuncles.
- A stye is an infection of a tear gland at the edge of the eyelid.
- A stye is caused by infection of a gland at the base of one or more eyelashes.
early 17th century: from dialect styany, from styan (from Old English stīgend 'riser') + eye.