- 1An irregular surface or seam within a limestone or other sedimentary rock, characterized by irregular interlocking pegs and sockets around 1 cm in depth and a concentration of insoluble minerals.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- This produces sutured interpenetrative contacts between grains, and these may form thin extensive sheets of concentrations of insoluble material called stylolite seams.
- 1.1A grooved peg forming part of a stylolite.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It cuts indiscriminately through the rock fabric, across grains, cement, and matrix; it may truncate fossils, ooliths, veins, and other stylolites.
- Folds, cleavages, tension gashes and stylolites were also taken into account.
- Owing to diagenetic effects, the vertical burrow parts commonly are compacted and may bear stylolites, whereas the inner parts of the tunnels especially are affected by sponge-like growth of celestine crystals.
mid 19th century: from Greek stulos 'column' + -lite.
Más definiciones de styloliteDefinición de stylolite en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.