1.1Relating to or denoting a biogeographic zone extending (in the sea) from the average line of low tide to the edge of the continental shelf or (in a large lake) beyond the littoral zone but still well lit: sheltered sublittoral regions mobile species will migrate to sublittoral waters offshore
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The sublittoral zone extends from the low-tide line out to 200 meters.
- The marine red alga Chondrus crispus is an abundant species along the coasts of the North Atlantic and inhabits the intertidal and upper sublittoral zones of rocky shorelines.
- In 1997, biomass of both littoral and sublittoral invertebrates in the impoundment was comparable to that of New Brunswick lakes of similar trophic status.
The sublittoral zone.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Bathyal is defined as pertaining to the ocean bottom between the sublittoral and abyssal zones - from depths of approximately 200 to 400 m.
- The paleoenvironments are interpreted as inner sublittoral and coastal lagoons environments with riverine and estuarine influence.
- The wildlife of the sublittoral sediment areas is less diverse than that of the rocky sublittorals but the areas have a high biomass and are important fishing areas, particularly for bottom-feeding fish.
Definición de sublittoral en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda