(abbreviation subsp. or ssp.)
sustantivo (plural igual)Biology
A taxonomic category that ranks below species, usually a fairly permanent geographically isolated race. Subspecies are designated by a Latin trinomial, e.g. (in zoology) Ursus arctos horribilis or (in botany) Beta vulgaris crassa.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Japan's Iriomote cat was recently demoted from a distinct species to an island subspecies of leopard cat.
- At the time, it was thought that all the subspecies were separated geographically, at least on the breeding grounds if not entirely in winter.
- For the data analysis, subspecies and varieties were treated as full species.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Genetic data based on mitochondrial DNA generally support current subspecific classifications based on phenotypic traits.
- Molecular genetic studies of Song Sparrows across North America have also had difficulty finding concordance between genetic variation and subspecific designations based on phenotype.
- Our original tree included a handful of subspecific taxa as well, but these have been excluded for the present analyses.
Definición de subspecies en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda