sustantivo[mass noun] Philosophy
The doctrine that behind phenomena there are substantial realities.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Thus, both Buddhist doctrine and Whitehead's philosophy avoid the extremes of substantialism and nihilism, and propose that things have a relational, interdependent type of existence.
- A third type of substantialism amounts to the theory that there is a plurality of ultimately irreducible individual souls rather than just a single divine one.
- The third revolutionary element is Buddhism's rejection of substantialism for the sake of a system of thought based on relativity as represented by the law of cause and effect.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Process thinkers do not accept the prevalent substantialist and deterministic understanding of the self.
- The roots of the substantialist way of seeing the world are Hellenistic and patriarchal.
- In our language, and in our common sense understanding of language, the substantialist meaning of ‘being’ is the literal and genuine meaning, and any other is metaphorical and lesser.
For editors and proofreaders
Saltos de línea: sub¦stan¦tial|ism
Definición de substantialism en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda