Definición de supplant en inglés:
- Most recent anime - and Hollywood movies, for that matter - continually generates two complaints: Style supplants substance and genre replaces originality.
- And he knows that the economic power of capitalism supplants the dictatorial power he envisions for himself.
- I have also seen patternmaking techniques designed to fit the human body supplanted by techniques that maximize fabric usage and ease of production, giving us garments that fit no one properly.
This is from Old French supplanter or Latin supplantare ‘trip up’, from sub- ‘from below’ and planta ‘sole of the foot’. Initially the word could be used both in the modern sense and in the original Latin sense. Milton, in Paradise Lost was one of the last to do this ‘His Armes clung to his Ribs, his Leggs entwining Each other, till supplanted down he fell A monstrous Serpent.’
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Her supplanter ruled well but was overthrown by another.
- Ireland, Scotland, and Wales all provided bases for the defeated of 1066 to launch futile attacks on their supplanter which very rapidly fizzled out.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.