- 1A wooden tool for beating flax and removing the woody parts from it.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- When the flax is sufficiently watered it is taken out of the pond and beaten by an implement called a swingle.
- 2The swinging part of a flail.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- A flail is a simple device made up from two pieces of wood a handle or staff about five feet long and a swingle that is about two feet long.
- The handle of the flail was raised until the swingle was shoulder high and then brought down firmly.
- The swingle, half as long as the handle, strikes the grain.
verbo[with object] Volver al principio
- Beat (flax) with a swingle: I found a group of bare-armed women under the trees swingling flaxMás ejemplos en oraciones
- When it ripened it had to be pulled, cured, seeded, swingled, spun and woven, all by hand, before it was ready to be made into wearing apparel.
- After this comes the scutching, or swingling, which is done by chopping with dull knives on a block of wood to take out the small pieces of bark which may still be sticking to the fiber.
- These were then separately swingled, spun and woven.
Middle English: from Middle Dutch swinghel, from the base of the verb swing.
Más definiciones de swingleDefinición de swingle en:
- el diccionario Inglés de EE.UU.